Espresso Drink Alternative

Holidays are here.
Time for peppermint mocha and eggnog latte, for cookies and fudge.
Normally this would make me as excited as my three year old, but events have occurred that make me sad.

Tennyson wrote, 'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

I cannot agree. 
The treats which help to define the holiday, that I have enjoyed and loved since I was a little girl, are not an option for me anymore.

With newly developed soy, dairy and wheat (which means I am now gluten free) allergies, The world of Christmas delectables is not longer at my disposal.

Then add a paper cut on top of that flesh wound.
Making my own espresso based drinks at home has been put on hold.

My grinder has ground it's last bean. I cannot justify roasting coffee if I cannot grind it to brew it. Nor do I feel I can go purchase a new one right now being as everyone who has asked for gift ideas knows my love of coffee and loss of this appliance.

Now, I know there are people in actual need. The soliders away from thier families while the serve overseas for example. But for me, despair during this festive season was selfishly immanent.

Then I found happiness in an unlikely place.

For anyone with allergies like me or is just on a tight budget but wanting to indulge,
I have found the answer.
Starbucks VIA.

It isn't just instant coffee.
Pumkin Spice and Peppermint Mocha are available.

After following the directions, I disregarded them.
By adding only milk, the coffee flavor was weak.
Holiday Cheer in a Cup
First, pour half a cup of strong coffee.
French press or automatic drip. 
Then, fill the rest of the cup with milk.
Almond milk is better than regular moo, coconut or soy.

Microwave until hot.
Normally I frown on microwaving coffee, but the VIA dissolves best in a hot beverage.

Pour the selected VIA into your cup and stir.


I hope this allergy friendly and budget conscious option helps others to regain the happiness this holiday season brings. I know it has for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment