How to Make Store Bought Coffee Better.

Snow has fallen, giving me the pleasure of shoveling the driveway. My son is too little to push a shovel, so he gets to use a dustpan.  

The concept of shoveling off the driveway is lost on him.

He scoops a pan full of snow off the side of the driveway I had just cleared and dumped it back on. Once he gets bored with that game, I am repeatedly pelted with snowballs. Mind you, the entire time I can see the faces of my neighbors through their windows watching and laughing as snow went down my back through the crack at the collar my scarf didn't cover.

With rosy cheeks and frozen feet, we head in. Hot chocolate was swiftly made for my son and then I checked for coffee options. Since the snow on the back deck was deeper than the driveway I had just shoveled, I knew replenishing my fresh roasted coffee stash isn't going to be a viable option until the groundhog's prediction of an early spring comes true.  

Only stale store bought coffee remains my option! *Gasp*

Have you found yourself in this situation?
Don't dismay!


With a manual grinder, manual drip device and a teakettle you have the power to turn bad coffee into decent coffee; decent coffee into good coffee; and good coffee into an outstanding cup.

Step One: Take the pre-ground store bought coffee and grind it again until it is fine, almost powder like.
Note: An automatic grinder will work, but the motor will emit heat which will roast the coffee further destroying the flavors and coffee potency of the blend.
Step Two: Boil water. Electric kettle, stove top or over a fire north woods style, it doesn't matter how you choose to do this step.
Note: Actually, remove the water from the heat before it reaches boiling temperature (212F). Ideally, coffee should be brewed with water around 190F and not above 200F.
Step Three: Set up a manual drip brewing device according to model specifications. Once the filter is in place, pour the re-ground coffee in.

Step Four: Slowly pour water over the grounds.
Note: Moisten the coffee thoroughly with a small amount of water at first, then brew as much coffee as the pot can hold.
Step Five: This is the most important step, Enjoy!

Whether or not the taste is improved by this five step method is up for debate.

Perhaps it is the "Ikea effect" that makes me believe I have made a better cup of coffee.
"Ikea effect" defined: You buy a piece of furniture, put it together, it wobbles and you still love it because of all the work you put into making it. Versus going to a furniture store and picking out a table, where if one wobbles you don't buy it based on the poor craftsmanship.
Is it possible using a manual grinder and drip machine to improve store bought pre-ground coffee actually makes a better cup of coffee, yes. Then again it is completely believable that the extra work does absolutely nothing to improve the cup.

But, even if that is true, I am enjoying the cup of coffee more than if I use the easiest way possible becuase I worked for it. 

In the words of Porky Pig, "That's all folks", five steps to improve the taste of store bought coffee when you find yourself unable to roast your own. Even if it is just the "Ikea effect" for coffee, I am happy and for me that is all the proof I need to know this method works.

As always Happy Roasting and Brewing!

4 comments:

  1. Great tips for making bad coffee taste better! I usually just add more sugar/creme.
    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess, that used to be my method as well. It isn't a bad way to go, but I wanted to find another option. I wanted to take my coffee addiction to another level!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog. This is a cool site and I wanted to post a little note to tell you, good job! Best wishes!!!
    inboedelopslag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!
      I greatly appreciate your note.
      I hope your day is filled with coffee, books and joy.
      Have a wonderful day!

      Delete