Play. Lose. Celebrate.

Sports Illustrated: The Fan Issue


Are you ready for some football?
YES! 

Do you live in a divided house? 

Where people cheering for the Redskins and Cowboys, or the Patriots and Jets live under the same roof. 

Maybe it's two people who are supposed to share the same bed and one ends up sleeping on the sofa.

Losing should be celebrated
more than winning.

Some of you may think to celebrate losing is only a way to make the loser feel better. Not so. Learn how that mind set can gain perseverance and perspective for life, for yours as well as for kids.

I am a Bears fan and my husband is a life long Vikings fan. Yesterday, his team actually won. My tone deaf, rhythmless husband was daning around the kitchen while I cooked dinner "singing" the Skol Vikings song.
Skol Vikings, let's win this game,
Skol Vikings, honor your name,
Go get that first down,
Then get a touchdown.
Rock 'em . . . Sock 'em
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Vikings, run up the score,
You'll hear us yell for more. . .
V-I-K-I-N-G-S
Skol, Vikings, let's go!
I should be supportive. He has cheered for the Vikings his whole life only to have disappointment and heartbreak.

I should be happy. The Bears were televised over the Vikings. Both teams won the first game of the season and the Packers lost.

I wasn't. We are in a Pigskin Pick'em league. His team winning meant I was bumped to the second to last ranking.

As a competitive person, I am a sore loser.  

Nearly everyday, I play Candyland with my son. I get three spaces from the Candy Castle and I draw the cupcake, sending me all the way back to the beginning. I have never won against him. We play other games and the result is the same.

How am I supposed to teach that winning isn't everything when all I want to do is win?

After the Packers lost to the 49ers yesterday, I started to reflect. What kind of example am I being to my son? Why is winning so important? Is winning really better than losing?

Look at my husband, a life long Vikings fan. Need I say more.
The Vikings have been Superbowl contenders four times without a win. I asked him why he keeps cheering for them.

"When the Vikings win a Superbowl, the win is going to be more joyous because of the years of losses," was his reply.

It is true that the bad times make us appreciate the good times. It is the contrast which defines the difference between them. The same applies to winning and losing. The lessons are in the struggles as much as in the victories. 

The real victor is the person who leaves the situation with a better understanding of life.

Losing encourages one to keep trying. If games come easy all the time, a kid isn't going to develope perseverance to get through difficult situations.

It is difficult for me, even as an adult, to keep pulling Candyland out of the closet to play with my son, but I need to set a better example. I have never won, but I need to show him that losing can be just as rewarding as winning.  Because just like the Vikings, eventually I will win and it will be very gratifying.

Share your thoughts on winning and losing in the comments box or you can email me directly at sarahjorichards@gmail.com.

Happy Roasting and Brewing!

2 comments: