Steaming Milk.

Autumn is here!

photographer unknown
I discovered the sudden change in seasons when I awoke. It was a dark and chilly morning. Leaving the security of the covers, I realized how intensely cold it was in the house.

I love cold weather. When I lived in Massachusetts I can't remember ever putting on my winter coat.  So, for me to say the house was a bit cold is saying something.

Walking to the thermostat I saw it was a balmy 61 degrees. Worried my son would get sick sleeping in this temperature, I turned on the heat. Nothing happened.

It took me a better part of the day to diagnosis the problem. In the mean time, hot chocolate was made for my son and I went to make a latte for myself. Picking the pitcher off the counter to chill it in the freezer while I set up the espresso machine, I realized it didn't need much additional chilling.

It was then I realized I didn't give out information on how to steam milk. I recently put out a quick home guide to making classic espresso based drinks (Espresso. Milk. Foam.), but provided no elaboration on how to steam milk.

Coffee is a sensory experience. 

All the sense are used when roasting beans. I have a book where I record the sights, smells and sounds of every roast in order to be able to reproduce the flavors again. It is no different when brewing and steaming. Adding milk to your espresso is to enhance the experience, to make that little bit of espresso last longer.

Read and learn how two common problems with steaming milk can be cured by using your sense of taste, hearing and touch.

Sour Milk.
I used to think steaming milk was a simple as pouring milk into a glass or pitcher, putting in the nozzle, and switching the machine from brew to steam. Not so.

When introducing steam or air into the milk it isn't like when you blow bubbles in milk. With the variable of heat the chemical properties of milk undergo changes.

Milk will gain a sour taste when it is over heated.

If you keep pushing it to heat up further, the fats in the milk start to scald, giving off a sour taste. The ideal temperature for steamed milk is between 135-165 degrees.

If you don't have a thermometer don't fret. This is where senses come in handy. Hold the pitcher/glass not by the handle, but by wrapping your hand around the body. When the container feels hot to the touch it has steamed long enough.

Screaming Milk.
Ever streamed milk and ended up hearing a freight train screeching through the kitchen. The whistle blowing is deafening in such close proximity.

The reason for screaming milk is because air hasn't been introduce.

Milk is stretched by the steaming it, by incorporating air in to the liquid. The volume of milk can increase through the process up to sixty percent.

There are two remedies that cure most screams.

One: The wand was submerged into the milk before the steam was on. Thus not allowing any air to be introduced. Turn on the steam, then submerge the nozzle into the milk.

Two: There may not be enough pressure. If you have the ability with your machine to increase the steam out put, then do so. If not, try cleaning the nozzle. Chances are a clog will be responsible for a the decrease of steam.


Steamed milk should froth and create foam if you have introduce air properly.

The texture of the foam when you steam correctly is a creamy, almost velvety texture which compliments espresso so well. Enhancing and increasing the experience.

Hope this helps to improve your home cafe. I would love to hear about your steaming experiences, the delicious, the inedible and the messy. Use the comments box below or email me directly at sarahjorichards@gmail.com.


Happy Roasting, Brewing and Steaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment