Best Coffee I've Ever Had!

New Orleans has drive thru daiquiris. New York has their bagels.
Minnesota has their unofficial state bird, the mosquito.

Seattle has coffee. 

Photograph by Joe Kurian.
The best coffee in the country, perhaps even the world can be sampled in Seattle. 

I know it is all subjective to personal tastes etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. But I cannot agree to the rule of individual tastes when it comes to Seattle’s coffee.

It is the best.
Geographical Breakdown of Coffee
According to my own personal, in location, taste tests.

Midwest 
My husband spent his whole life (until college) in the Red River Valley. He knows the Midwest well and can attest that it is mostly farmers or descendants of farmers who like their coffee strong, black and cheap.
Mass roasted blends like Folgers and Maxwell House are very popular here.

South
Any time you drink your coffee with a doughnut is great. In New Orleans they drink their coffee with beignets. There inhabitants prefer a chicory style coffee. Chicory is the root of the endive plant. It is a type of lettuce. It is said to take the bitter edge off dark French roasts.

It is not a taste I have acquired. I prefer my coffee vegetable free.

East Coast
My husband and I lived near Boston for about four years. To drink your coffee black is unheard of there. The typical coffee drink, usually from Dunkin’ Donuts, has more milk and sugar than it has coffee.

My father in law (Midwest agronomist) visited us and was excited to try Dunkin’ Donuts. I had never seen him not finish a cup of coffee, let alone throw one away. After three sips of East Coast coffee as we waited for the subway he did just that.

West Coast 
In Washington state coffee is truly an art form
The best coffee I have ever experienced. No competition.

The only regret I have about my recent vacation to Seattle is that it was too short. There were so many cafes I wanted to sample and just not enough time. Even in a heightened state of caffeine, I simply couldn’t get to them all. 

Almond milk latte in upper left cup.
Macchiato with 2% milk bottom right cup.
Caffe Fiore was my first stop. Dogs were tied to the bike racks out side the patio. Silver bowls had been laid out for them telling me they are daily visitors. The plastic jar of dog treats with a sign telling owners to take one out to their dog while they waited for their drinks was on the counter. 

I love dogs as much as I adore coffee.
 More so, I love places that cater to them as a part of the family, a best friend of the owner rather than as a mangy mutt.

The coffee was amazing.
The foam clung to the sides of the cup as I drank. It didn’t deflate into a white skuzz on the top of the espresso. 

The first sip was a bit bitter, but by the time I was halfway through the cup I didn't notice it and could pick out a cherry flavor instead. I originally thought the drink was a bit nutty, but I am not sure if it was the espresso or the almond milk I had added to my latte. 

Rice milk latte.
Seattle Coffee Works steamed their milk in the same manner. This time I got rice milk, which doesn’t foam up like almond, soy or moo juice. The little layer of foam that was coaxed out of the rice milk stayed. Its residue coated the sides of my cup as I drank. 

The creamy espresso with its nutty tastes wasn’t confused with almonds this time. There were spicy and dark chocolate hints to the after taste. 

Both cafe’s produced delicious, well-crafted espresso, creamy and incredible smooth. 

Quality over Quantity.

Drinks didn’t come in 20 ounce options. They don’t need to. One to one shots of espresso and steamed milk is all you need to be completely satisfied. 

A new standard has been introduced to me. 

I am curious to know where you have found the best coffee you’ve ever had. 
You can tell me by using the comments box, or you can email me directly at sarahjorichards@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment