What to do if your coffee tastes terrible?

The last several roasts I have made have been disappointing. Correction. They've tasted terrible.
Are allergies effecting my palette?
Am I just really poor at roasting?
Is toothpaste effecting the flavor of my coffee?
(I usually brush after eating breakfast and then continue drinking coffee.)
Photographer Unknown
As I have mentioned before my husband is a home brewer. I used to dread those days because of the mess he would make in the kitchen. Now he has gotten more advanced and experienced.

Mr. Clean beams with pride at the sparkling counters and cookware he leaves when he is done.

I asked him why it is so clean when he is done, but not when he is brewing. The answer was he is clean. He sanitizes everything before involving it with his beer making. The mess was only the boil overs.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
No wonder monks were some of the first to brew beer.

Several hours have to be committed to making a batch of beer. Then there is the fermenting periods, the settling time for the yeast, and the carbonating/bottling process.

Roasting coffee takes a half hour for four ounces. Plus a day for the carbon dioxide to be expelled.

Was I missing something?
Was it all too easy?
My coffee still didn't taste like what I had in Seattle.

Getting back to basics corrected the sour taste the French press and espresso machine gave my coffee. 

My kitchen is not dirty, nor did I think my coffee making devices were dirty, but they were.

By following these extra steps your brew will taste better regardless of the type of beans you use.

The Espresso Machine
Dirty portafilter in the foreground
and a detached basket behind it.

Steps 1 & 2

  1. Remove the portafilter and separate the basket.
    How to do this varies by machine, but the parts and concepts are the same for all.

  2. Clean components thoroughly.
    For the perforations on the basket us a nylon brush
    or a toothbrush to ensure there is no blockage.
  3. This is the step I didn't know about.
    It makes all the difference.

    Tip your machine upside down to see this filter.
    Steps 3, 4 & 5
    Remove the screw which holds the screen on.
    The screen should fall out.
    If not, gently pry with the screwdriver.
  4. Clean the screen.
    Use the toothbrush or nylon brush to clear the holes of any blockages.
  5. Once clean, replace the screen and screw it back into place.
  6. If your steam nozzle has a cap on it, remove it. Ensure the nozzle cap and head itself are clean. Remove all milk film that may be present.
    Tools used: short handled Philips screwdriver,
    toothbrush and paper towels.

    Note: It is easiest to clean the apparatus immediately after using it, before the milk has a chance to harden to the metal. This actually applies to all parts. 
I know the espresso is mouth watering, but refrain.
Remind yourself it is too hot to drink right away. 
While you wait for it to cool, clean the steam nozzle. Wipe out the espresso pot. Unscrew the portafilter and empty the basket. Wash all parts.

Careful! Parts are hot after use.

For many espresso machines I have had, an important step is to unscrew the cap before removing the portafilter. I have had scalding coffee ground explosions from not following the operating instructions properly.
Be sure to read your manual for safety and cleaning procedures.
Use my advice and notes as a supplement.
Another tip I have about your espresso tastes is pay attention to the grind. Coffee ground to coarse will leave sour notes to your espresso, and going too fine will make it bitter.

Personally, I would err on the side of too fine. Bitter is better than sour in my cup.

Try giving your espresso machine a good cleaning and test it out.
Next week I will dissect the french press.

I am interested to know how it goes for you. I would also love any advice or experiences you have to share about your espresso machine. Leave your notes in the comments box or email me directly at sarahjorichards@gmail.com.

Happy Roasting and Brewing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment