Clean. Brew. Repeat.

Have you ever wanted...
Correction.
Have you ever needed coffee so bad you would hijack a truck?

Driving to the exotic prairie pioneer destination of Fargo, North Dakota I saw this awesome truck on I-94.

We had driven almost 700 construction filled miles with minimal stops. Mind you, there was a three year old in the backseat who refused to sleep and was very bored. Every twenty three minutes my son would emit a piercing shriek of pent up energy.

The power converter was in the arm rest. I could plug it into the cigarette lighter thing to run the grinder. Gas stations along to route held hot water.
No horrible burnt, stale gas station coffee when you travel with a French press, grinder and beans.
I wasn't traveling with those creature comforts this trip because the dog took up the entire trunk of our "family car". The never stylish but highly practical station wagon.

Finally, it was my turn to drive and my husband to sleep.
Let's just say I really wanted coffee.
Let's just say my son was calling me the Stig (Top Gear reference) by the time we reached our destination.
The French press is a must for the office, home or travel.
I've had fresh, good coffee in a hotel room without having to go to a cafe. (Hotel Coffee)
When I visit friends a family who don't drink coffee (gasp).
Who don't even have a drip machine (I know!).
The French press rescued me.

However, if you don't properly clean a French press, the flavors start to go off, just like a dirty espresso machine. (What to do if your coffee tastes terrible?) I thought I was cleaning the plunger properly. Now I am going to share with you how it should be cleaned to ensure a good brew.

The first time I dissected my press, I thought I had broken it. I had no idea that you could unscrew the bottom of the plunger to separate the pieces. The amount of gunk in the crevices I couldn't reach without taking apart explained the funky flavors.

Cleaning your French Press
  1. Fill your sink with hot, soapy water.
    While many presses claim to be dishwasher safe, but experience has taught me a device will have better longevity if you wash it by hand with a dishrag and a toothbrush.
  2. Separate the plunger from the pot.
    I know! This seems like commonsense, but I wanted to be thorough.
  3. Unscrew the plunger.
    It should reveal a coiled strainer, wire mesh and a stopper.
  4. Wash all the pieces individually.
    Use the toothbrush to clean the wire mesh piece, the coil strainer and the pour slots.
  5. Dry or used again!
Personally, I would suggest using your press immediately. After all you need to ensure you cleaned it well enough. I suppose then you'll have to wash it again; then test it again.

Some might say this is a vicious circle.
No. It isn't.
It is the delicious circle of a coffee addict's logic.
Let me know if this has helped you. If you have any advice on French press brewing I would love to hear from you and learn something new. Use the comment box below or contact me directly at sarahjorichards@gmail.com.

Happy Roasting and Brewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment