Reproducing Favorite Roasts.

Having favorites is risky.

When it comes to parental favorites with siblings there is the uncertainty of not living up to expectations.
Even if parents say there isn't a favorite, kids don't stop envisioning it exists.

When it comes to material items, replacements might not be obtainable.
I had a pair of fish embroidered Sketchers. So comfy and cute. One day my husband threw them away because he said they smelled like the aquatic organism on it. No pair of sporty slip-ons has ever been as good as the idealized standard those shoes set.

When it comes to coffee, the a favorite roast might be discontinued or the last of the roasted batch consumed.
I roasted Bali Blue Moon and nearly swooned over my cup. Suddenly I was torn between sharing this heavenly roast with my husband or keeping all the precious beans for myself. Then a horrifying thought hit me...

What if I can't reproduce the same roast again?

Here the risky cycle of choosing favorites can stop.
Through the use of roasting notes form, you can record the basic information and observations needed to reproduce a roast.


Free to print. Click image for PDF.

Date
Recording the date you roasted is not only a good organization technique, but a simple way to have recorded the season.
The more time I roast, the more I notice how ambient temperature, for example, effects roasting reproduction. Loving the way I had roasted Lagniappe Decaf one month in the summer, I went back to reproduce it in the winter. The temperature difference effect the length of time roasting required to reach the Espresso roast I needed.
(Refer to Basic Roasting Guide)

Green Bean(s) Type 
This is self explanatory as obvious information needed to reproduce the same roast.

Ounces
It is important to note, if not by ounce another standardized measurement, the amount of beans you roasted.
If less or more is used at a later date, the roast time will need to be adjusted. Less time for fewer beans and more time for more beans. Refer to manufacture's instructions as the maximum amount of beans while roasting varies by machine.
Settings
Settings vary by machine, but the essentials are to record the temperature used, the fan speed and the time of roast.

Apperance
Record the green bean before and the roasted bean after.
Experience gained through experimentation has lead me to conclude the darker the color of the green bean before the roasting, the longer it will take to achieve a crack. By recording the color of a bean before roasting it, it allows with crop comparison as experience expands and develops your taste buds.
Audible
Recording the audible signals of roasting is an invaluable way to adjust the time of roast in order to achieve the preferred roast level.

Taste
Spicy, chocolaty, nutty, buttery, fruity, flowery, winey, earthy are the comment adjectives I use when I reopen the notes and record how it tastes.

Additional Notes
Once again, self explanatory. However, I would recommend commenting about the weather, aroma and brewing method used to obtain the flavors.

So, for me as a parent there is no threat of playing favorites since I only have one.
Although, I must confess some days the dog is preferable company to a four year old! 

The Shoemaker's elves have not magically left me a new pair of exceedingly comfy fishy slip-ons.
If I really like a pair of shoes now, I wear socks. Always!

And favorite roasts can be reproduced!
The only glitch is the possibility of crop shortages for a particular green bean.

Feel free to print out the Roast Notes form for use, but please don't sell it for profit. 
Punch it with a three holes for a binder and keep a record of your roasts. Even the bad ones!
Through out history we have learned from our mistakes. Experiment with roasting. Record your results.

What is your favorite roast?
Share with me either in the comments box or by emailing me directly at sarahjorichards@gmail.com.
Enjoy and as always... 
Happy Roasting and Brewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment